Put down the controllers and warm up the oven, National Video Games Day is here! Whether you’re looking for a sweet treat or a fiery surprise, we’ve a got trio of retro-gaming inspired recipes that look and taste pixel-perfect. No cheat codes required...check ‘em out below!
Super Swiss Miss Bombs
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup heavy (whipping) cream
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 envelope (0.85 oz each) Swiss Miss® Simply Cocoa Milk Chocolate Hot Cocoa
- 1lb of dark chocolate for dipping
Place chocolate and butter in 8x8-inch microwave safe baking dish. Microwave on HIGH 45 seconds; stir. Microwave an additional 30 seconds.
Microwave heavy cream on HIGH 45 seconds; stir in chili powder, salt, and cocoa packet. Pour hot cream over chocolate and stir until melted and combined. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour or until firm.
Heat up extra chocolate in microwave on HIGH for 45 seconds. Use a melon baller to scoop refrigerated chocolate mixture and shape into 1-inch balls. Refrigerate until ready to dip.
Melt dipping chocolate in a double broiler. Using two forks, dip truffles in chocolate.
Decorations are a snap:
Peanuts work great for the feet,
White icing for the eyes,
Pretzels for the winder (use melted chocolate as glue)
and mini M&Ms for the cap!
65 calories, 7g Carbs
- 1 pound ground round beef (85% lean)
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 can (14.5 oz each) Hunt's® Diced Tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups Hunt's® Tomato Sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Optional: 1 shot of Brandy (to light for flames)
Preheat oven to 375°F. Combine beef, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, parsley, egg, 1 teaspoon garlic and salt in medium bowl. Divide mixture into 12 portions; shape into meatballs and place on aluminum foil-lined shallow baking pan. Bake 15 minutes or until done (160°F).
Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add remaining 2 teaspoons garlic, cook 1 minute more or until fragrant. Stir in undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce, remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, basil and sugar. Bring to a boil. Add meatballs to sauce; gently stir to coat. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes or until sauce has thickened slightly, stirring occasionally.
Using toothpicks, dip meatballs into tomato sauce and arrange meatballs on rimmed serving tray. Carefully pour shot of brandy onto the tray around the meatballs. Carefully light with a long match or extended lighter. Let the flames burn out before enjoying.
312 calories, 19g Carbs
CRISPY POWER STAR POPS
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (10 oz., about 40) regular sized marshmallows
- 1/2 cup Peter Pan peanut butter
- 6 cups puffed rice cereal
- Yellow frosting (for decorating)
- black gel icing (for decorating)
In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and peanut butter and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
Add rice cereal. Stir until fully coated.
Using buttered spatula or wax paper press mixture into 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Let it sit until cool.
Using star cookie cutter, cut out your shapes and decorate with yellow frosting, and black gel icing for the eyes. Stick on a wooden skewer for an easy pop.